Monday, September 29, 2014

Book Review: Shaq Uncut

I just finished what is probably the 40th sports biography I've read in my life. As most of my friends know, I have this undying obsession and respect for the NBA. I consider many of my role models to be NBA Players or Coaches. Everyone knows I am a huge San Antonio Spurs fan who has an extreme level of respect for Tim Duncan. In fact my Uncle Josh just recently asked me "why on Earth are you reading about Shaq? Don't you know how many championships Duncan may have had if Shaq wasn't there"? I responded "I consider him to be my idols biggest rival at the peak of his career. It was a classic match up to have Duncan vs O'Neal!! I found it rather intriguing to read about him for that reason aside from the fact he's probably my all time favorite Center.

The True Superman of the NBA has taught me a lot of great lessons reading his autobiography. I remember all those times I called him out for being "lazy" or a big jerk or something along those lines but when I read his perspective through this book, it really humbled me that no matter how big a fan I am, I never really know the reason. Sometimes when a player says something mean and selfish on the media, it could be that players way of raising the competition. It's not always because of hatred or hanger even though Shaq admitted to having a few of those. That's the beauty I learned from him though is he is human. He is a generous man who loves to brighten others days. He does know how to put time in for himself as well. For a celebrity who racks in a bunch of dough, this guy has, in my opinion, a great balance of self worth and not forgetting that he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did with out support of his friends and family. I found it rather amazing how much respect he had for his adopted father "Sarge"! Sarge, although rough around the edges sounded like a great man.

To be honest, I had such enjoyment reading his autobiography that I had a tear come out of my eye when I shut the book and it was finished. Like I said, I have read probably 40 or so sports biographies in my lifetime but this one will be near and dear to my heart. It definitely increased what was already a "giant" respect for the "Big Aristotle"! I would definitely recommend this book for any sports fan. It is no doubt on of the top 3 best I have ever read.


No comments:

Post a Comment